- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces fresh okra, trimmed, or frozen and thawed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- One 10-ounce can Ro-Tel Original diced tomatoes and green chilies
- One 8-ounce can diced tomatoes in sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons liquid crab boil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound small shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 pint shucked oysters, coarsely chopped (strain oyster liquor into chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon filé powder, (filé powder is made from sassafras)
- Rice, for serving (optional)
To make a roux, melt the butter in a small, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring often, until smooth and light caramel in color, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add the celery, onions, peppers, okra, oregano, thyme and bay leaves, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the stock in a large heavy pot, then keep warm over low heat. Transfer the vegetables to the stock and add the Ro-Tel, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, crab boil and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the shrimp, crab and oysters, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes.
Whisk the filé powder into 1/2 cup water, then into the gumbo. Stir in the reserved roux and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Servethe gumbo over rice, if you like.
Special Offer: Get more recipes from Saveur, the award-winning magazine for those passionate about food, drink and travel. Click for details.
Recipe reprinted by permission of World Publication, LLC. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .