Vietnamese rolls stuffed with shrimp get crunch and color from yellow peppers, lettuce and carrots—which, like most orange fruits and vegetables, are high in cancer-fighting alpha carotene.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 small red onion thinly, sliced
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- Sixteen 8-inch round rice papers
- 16 cilantro sprigs
- 1 head Boston lettuce, separated
- 1 pound cooked large shrimp, halved lengthwise
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 1/2 ounces bean thread vermicelli, soaked in hot water until pliable and drained well
- Tip: One Serving 181 cal, 1 gm fat, 0.2 gm sat fat, 31 gm carb, 2.2 gm fiber.
In a bowl, toss the carrots, onion, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Let stand until the vegetables soften, 30 minutes. Drain.
In a glass bowl, mix the remaining vinegar, sugar and garlic. Microwave at high power for about 30 seconds, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the fish sauce and set aside for 30 minutes; discard the garlic.
Meanwhile, soak 1 rice paper at a time in hot water until pliable, about 10 seconds; transfer to a work surface. Set a cilantro sprig and lettuce leaf on the lower third of the rice paper and top with 3 shrimp halves. Top with some of the yellow pepper, vermicelli and the pickled vegetables; roll up tightly, folding in the sides. Place the roll on a platter and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Halve the rolls and serve with the sauce for dipping.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close