This twist on the Louisiana favorite piles grilled shrimp and creamy-dressed cabbage onto a crusty bun. Bread that’s soft on the inside and crusty on the outside is perfect for a Po’ Boy sandwich. We grill both sides of a whole-wheat bun for that added crunch. You may need a few extra napkins to enjoy it, but this quick and easy sandwich is well worth it. Serve with: Sauteed corn and bell peppers.
- For Shrimp Po’ Boy:
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (51-60 per pound; see Shopping Tip)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hot dog buns or small sub rolls, split
- 4 tomato slices, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Tip: Shopping Tip: Shrimp is usually sold by the number needed to make one pound. For example, “21-25 count” means there will be 21-25 shrimp in a pound. Size names, such as “large” or “extra large,” are not standardized, so to be sure you’re getting the size you want, order by the count (or number) per pound. Both wild-caught and farm-raised shrimp can damage the surrounding ecosystems when not managed properly. Fortunately, it is possible to buy shrimp that have been raised or caught with sound environmental practices. Look for fresh or frozen shrimp certified by an independent agency, such as Wild American Shrimp or Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find certified shrimp, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Kitchen Tip: It’s best to use a grill basket when grilling small shrimp so they don’t fall into the fire. If you don’t have one, fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this "basket" will prevent the shrimp from sliding off.
Preheat the grill to medium-high.
Combine the cabbage, relish, mayonnaise and yogurt in a medium bowl.
Toss the shrimp with 2 teaspoons oil, chili powder, paprika and pepper in a medium bowl. Place the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a small bowl. Dip a pastry brush in water, then in the oil and lightly brush the inside of each bun (or roll).
Place a grill basket (see Kitchen Tip) on the grill. Add the shrimp and spread in a single layer. Grill, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Open the buns and grill, turning once, until toasted on both sides, about 1 minute total.
To assemble the sandwiches, divide the tomato and onion among the buns. Spread about 1/3 cup cabbage mixture down the middle of each and top with about 1/2 cup grilled shrimp.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
322 calories; 10g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 173mg cholesterol; 522mg sodium; 32g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 28g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .