Shrimp rémoulade is in every New Orleanian's arsenal of favored dishes for relaxed entertaining. Serve this simple dish on elegant china and it’s fit for a king - Mardi Gras or otherwise. Bonus for the home cook: The sauce is definitely best made a day in advance and refrigerated, then all that’s left to do is toss in the shrimp, and plate and serve. It’s a snap to make, yet it’s always impressive.
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions (white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup chopped curly parsley
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 1/2 cup Creole mustard or any coarse, grainy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Spanish hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 4 dozen jumbo (15 count) shrimp, peeled, boiled and chilled
- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, washed, dried and cut into thin ribbons
Mince the celery, scallions, parsley, and onions in a food processor. Add the ketchup, tomato purée, Creole mustard, horseradish, red wine vinegar, paprika and Worcestershire. Begin processing again and add the oil in a slow drizzle to emulsify. Stop when the dressing is smooth. Chill for 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Correct the seasoning with additional horseradish, if desired, after the ingredients have had the opportunity to marry.
In a large mixing bowl, add the sauce to the shrimp and toss gently to coat. Divide the lettuce among 6 chilled salad plates. Divide the shrimp evenly atop the lettuce and serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Clarkson Potter. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close