Don’t let the name intimidate you. This delicious take on the Swedish "savory sandwich torte" is sure to please family and guests alike. We’ve transformed this traditional smoked-fish dish into a light layered sandwich that captures the essence of Scandinavia. Make it a meal: Serve with a beet salad or steamed red potatoes.
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs (see Kitchen Tip), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rinsed capers (optional)
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed, shredded
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 12 thin slices whole-wheat bread or rye bread, lightly toasted
- Tip: Kitchen Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Mix the sour cream, lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Combine the eggs, dill, onion and capers (if using) in another medium bowl. Stir in half of the sour cream mixture.
Add the trout, celery, parsley, caraway seeds (if using) and pepper to the remaining sour cream mixture.
To assemble sandwiches: Divide the egg mixture among 4 slices of bread. Top with bread, then spread with the trout mixture. Top with the remaining bread. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
385 calories; 13g total fat; 5g total saturated fat; 326mg cholesterol; 726mg sodium; 32g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 22g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .