- Special Pricing
These breakfast burritos, packed with potatoes, bacon and scrambled eggs then topped with green chili sauce and cheddar, are a satisfying way to start your day.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
- For Green Chili Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped roasted mild-to-medium New Mexican green chilies, preferably fresh
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- For Burritos:
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups precooked shredded potatoes (see Note) or frounceen hash browns
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Six 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas, warmed if desired (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar (4 ounces)
- : To warm tortillas, wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds or wrap in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Note: Precooked shredded potatoes can be found in the dairy section of most supermarkets or near other fresh prepared vegetables in the refrigerated produce section. To make your own, halve 1 pound unpeeled baking potatoes; cook in lightly salted boiling water until slightly tender but still firm in the center, 7 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a clean cutting board. Shred using the large holes of a box grater.
To prepare the sauce: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add the chilies and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook until thickened but still easily spoonable, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
To prepare the burritos: Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Crumble when cooled.
Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the potatoes. Pat the mixture down evenly and cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Scrape up the browned bits, pat back down again and continue cooking without stirring, for about 2 minutes more. Repeat until the potatoes are golden brown with some crisp edges, about 2 minutes more.
Reduce the heat to low. Stir 1/4 cup sauce and the eggs into the potato mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are just set, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon and remove from the heat.
Divide the potato-egg mixture among the tortillas. Roll each into a burrito and arrange seam-down on plates or a platter. Reheat the sauce, spoon over the burritos and sprinkle with the cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
375 calories; 15g total fat; 6g total saturated fat; 93mg cholesterol; 753mg sodium; 45g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 14g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .