- Special Savings
Tortillas are easier to fold if you warm them first. To warm, wrap them in foil and heat in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Or, wrap them in paper towels and microwave for a few seconds on high power.
- For the Filling:
- 7 ounces dried black, red kidney or garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or 12 ounces canned beans, drained and rinsed
- 64 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 6 ounces finely chopped zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 6 ounces fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh mild green chili, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 canned green chili, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1 small hot chili, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 ounce shredded jícama (optional)
- For the Salsa:
- 6 ounces finely chopped peeled tomatoes (2 medium)
- 3/4 ounces sliced spring onion
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Several splashes hot chili sauce
- For the Tacos:
- 4 ounces shredded lettuce
- Eight 10-inch flour tortillas, or packaged taco shells, warmed (see headnote)
- 4 ounces grated mild melting cheese or cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
FOR THE FILLING:
If using dried beans, rinse beans and place in a 4-quart saucepan with 32 ounces of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or, omit the simmering. Soak the beans in 32 ounces water in a 4-quart saucepan. Cover and leave in a cool place for 6-8 hours or overnight.) Drain the beans and rinse. (If using red kidney beans, boil 10 minutes in water to cover, then drain again.) In the same pan, combine the beans and remaining water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, or till the beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. In a large frying pan, heat the oil. When hot, add the zucchini or squash, corn, garlic and chilies; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans and jícama, if desired; cook and stir till heated through.
FOR THE SALSA:
In a mixing bowl combine the tomatoes, spring onion, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic and hot chili sauce to taste.
FOR THE TACOS:
Sprinkle shredded lettuce in the center of a flour tortilla. Top with some of the bean filling, grated cheese, sour cream and fresh salsa. Fold the bottom edge of each tortilla up and over filling. Fold in opposite sides of each tortilla to overlap slightly, leaving one end open. Serve immediately. If using packaged taco shells, heat them as directed on the packet and fill.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
861 calories; 27g total fat; 30mg cholesterol; 886mg sodium; 126g carbohydrates; 16g fiber; 32g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .