This Tex-Mex favorite comes together in minutes. You'll be surprised by how quick and easy it is to make your own refried beans -- and how much better they taste than the ready-made variety.
The forceful flavor of cheddar cheese and the saltiness of the olives will go very nicely with a crisp and lively sauvignon blanc from California.
- 8 taco shells
- 5 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 2 cups drained and rinsed kidney beans (from one 19-ounce can)
- 1/3 cup tomato salsa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 roasted chicken, bones and skin removed, meat shredded (about 1 pound meat)
- 1/3 cup black olives, such as Kalamata, halved and pitted
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the taco shells on a baking sheet and bake them until crisp, about 8 minutes. Break each one in half.
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Add the beans, salsa and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, mashing with a potato masher, for about 5 minutes.
In a small glass or stainless steel bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, pepper, chili powder and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the remaining 4 1/2 tablespoons oil, whisking. Add the cilantro.
To serve, spread one side of the taco-shell halves with the refried beans and put four on each plate. Top with layers of the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, chicken and olives. Pour the dressing over the salads.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
955 calories; 51g total fat; 185mg cholesterol; 1115mg sodium; 57g carbohydrates; 19g fiber; 70g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .