Spanish Mussel and Chorizo Soup
- Active Time 15m
- Total Time 25m
If you have trouble finding chorizos, use hot Italian sausage or spicy kielbasa. WINE RECOMMENDATION: Morgan Malvasia Bianca from California or Cune Blanco Seco from Rioja, Spain.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages (6 ounces), halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, lightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds, bruised with the side of a knife
- 2 strips of orange zest (3 inches each)
- 2 bottles (8 ounces each) of clam juice
- 1 can (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Crusty Italian or French bread
Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Add the chorizos, shallot, garlic, fennel seeds and orange zest and stir over moderate heat until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the clam juice, tomatoes and the water. Cover and bring to a boil.
Stir in the orzo, cover and cook until barely al dente, about 8 minutes.
Add the mussels, cover and cook until they open, 4 to 5 minutes.
Discard any unopened mussels and the orange zest. Serve with bread.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
518 calories; 26g total fat; 101mg cholesterol; 1752mg sodium; 27g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 42g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 15% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close