- Special Pricing
Spicy Onion Jam
- Active Time 25m
- Total Time 55m
Any type of onion will work for this chili-and-pomegranate-infused jam. Spread crostini with goat cheese and top with the spicy-sweet jam for a quick appetizer or tuck some into a steak taco. If you're a fan of spicy foods, use the full amount of ancho chilies.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- 2-4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and broken into pieces
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tip: Kitchen Tip: Onions contain a volatile compound called lachrymator that reacts with the fluid in your eyes and makes them water. To chop them without crying, try wearing goggles, burning a candle nearby or cutting them under cold water. To mellow the bite of a raw onion, soak it for an hour in 1 cup cold water, 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt and then rinse thoroughly.
Place the chilies in a small dry saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the pomegranate juice and bring to a boil; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 20 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the onions and cook until very soft and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium;
add the chili puree and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the salt.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
20 calories; 1g total fat; 0g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 38mg sodium; 3g carbohydrates; 0g fiber; 0g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .