Fresh basil adds a bright spark to this vinegary, vegetable-stuffed soup, full of the traditional flavors of the Mediterranean. Alternatively, pesto adds a nutty richness to the soup.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 3 teaspoons hot paprika, or to taste
- One 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes (see Ingredient note)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen spinach (5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or prepared pesto
- Ingredient Note: Convenient cooked and diced potatoes can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the supermarket.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the paprika and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the broth, tomatoes, squash, potatoes and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in the spinach and vinegar; continue cooking until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes more. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the fresh basil or a dollop of pesto.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
253 calories; 8g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 485mg sodium; 40g carbohydrates; 10g fiber; 9g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .