- 2 steaks (such as strip, sirloin or club; 6 ounces each), pounded 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons demi-glace
- 1 1/2 tablespoons madeira
- 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Season steaks with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon butter and 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sear one steak, 30 to 45 seconds per side (for medium rare), then transfer to a warmed platter, covering with foil to retain heat. Add remaining oil and 1 teaspoon butter to skillet. Sear second steak in the same manner as the first. Transfer to platter and cover.
Melt 2 teaspoons butter in same skillet over medium high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire, and demi-glace. Add madeira, lemon juice and parsley. Remove from heat and stir in remaining butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks, and serve.
Special Offer: Get more recipes from Saveur, the award-winning magazine for those passionate about food, drink and travel. Click for details.
Recipe reprinted by permission of World Publication, LLC. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 15% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close