- Special Pricing
Gingersnaps add a sublime note to the classic spring combination of strawberries and rhubarb.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the pudding through Step 3; refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake as directed in Step 4.
- For the Custard:
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- For the Seasonings:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- For the Bread and Filling:
- 4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound, 4 to 6 slices)
- 2 cups roughly broken gingersnaps
- 2 cups quartered strawberries, fresh or frounceen (thawed)
- 1 cup diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted (see Tip)
- For Topping:
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted, or Streusel Topping (see Tip)
- Tip: Spread walnuts on a baking sheet, place in a preheated 350 degree F oven and toast, stirring once, until fragrant and lightly browned, 7 to 9 minutes.
- To make streusel topping: Combine 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup oats (preferably old-fashioned), 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 tablespoons canola oil in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on top of the pudding after the initial 40 to 45 minutes of baking.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Coat an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
FOR THE CUSTARD:
Whisk the egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add the sugar, vanilla and orange zest; whisk to combine.
Toss the bread, gingersnaps, strawberries, rhubarb and walnuts in a large bowl. Add the custard and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with 1/4 cup walnuts (or Streusel Topping) and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
320 calories; 10g total fat; 2g total saturated fat; 106mg cholesterol; 334mg sodium; 46g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 11g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .