To create completely satisfying dishes, Thai cooks aim for a mix of sweet, salty, sour and bitter flavors. In his salad, chef Laurent Tourondel of the BLT Steak empire achieves that alluring combination by tossing tart green mango with cucumbers, a myriad of fresh herbs, a vibrant Thai dressing and plenty of delicate, sweet crabmeat.
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Thai red chilies, minced
- 3 carrots, finely julienned
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek or other Asian hot sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large green mangos, peeled and finely julienned (about 1 pound each)
- 2 seedless cucumbers peeled, seeded and finely julienned
- 2 6-ounce bunches watercress, thick stems discarded
- 1/2 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab
- 3 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar with 1/4 cup of the sugar and half of the garlic and chilies. Add the carrots and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the lime and tangerine juices, shallot, fish sauce, sambal oelek and water. Stir in the remaining garlic, chilies and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
In a very large bowl, combine the green mango, cucumbers, watercress, basil, mint and cilantro. Drain the carrots, shaking off the excess liquid, and add them to the bowl. Add the dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to plates and mound the crab on top. Garnish with the scallions and serve.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Tip: <br>One Serving: 260 cal, 2 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 31 gm carb, 4 gm fiber, 30 gm protein, 790 mg sodium.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close