We love how a few simple ingredients like coconut milk and curry paste can turn an at-home dish into a Thai delight. Any basil will taste delicious in this recipe, but use Thai basil if you can find it. Make it a meal: Spoon over soba noodles or rice noodles.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil or canola oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (see Shopping Tip)
- One 14-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (see tip)
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see tip)
- 6 cups trimmed watercress (1-2 bunches) or trimmed spinach
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil for garnish
- Tip: Red curry paste and fish sauce, typical Thai ingredients, can be found in the Asian food section of large supermarkets.
To clean mussels, scrub with a stiff brush under cold running water. Scrape off any barnacles using the shell of another mussel. Pull off the fuzzy beard from each one (some mussels may not have a beard).
Heat the oil in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, scallion whites, lime zest and curry paste to taste; cook until fragrant and the paste is sizzling, 1-3 minutes. Add the lime juice, coconut milk, brown sugar and fish sauce. Bring to a boil and let cook for 2 minutes.
Add the mussels, return to a simmer, cover and cook for 6 minutes. Spread the watercress (or spinach) over the mussels, cover and cook until slightly wilted, about 4 minutes; stir into the mussels. (Discard any unopened mussels). Serve garnished with scallion greens and basil.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
273 calories; 13g total fat; 6g total saturated fat; 48mg cholesterol; 499mg sodium; 16g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 24g protein
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .