Thai Red Curry Shellfish Stew with Rice
- Active Time 20m
- Total Time 35m
Complement this stew with a simple coleslaw made of thinly sliced green cabbage, shredded carrots, sliced green onions, chopped cilantro and tossed with rice wine and sesame vinaigrette. Serve chilled Thai beer to tame the heat of this spicy main course.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (such as Tommy Tang's)
- 3 bottles (8 ounces each) clam juice
- 1 can (13 1/2 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 2/3 cup long-grain white rice
- 12 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 12 mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 12 medium uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 12 sea scallops, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in heavy large wide casserole pot over medium heat. Add green onions, ginger and Thai curry paste; sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in clam juice, coconut milk, cream and saffron; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Add rice; cover and simmer until almost tender, about 12 minutes.
Increase heat to high. Add clams and mussels; cover and cook 4 minutes. Add shrimp and scallops; cover and continue cooking until clams and mussels open, about 3 minutes longer (discard any clams or mussels that do not open). Mix in lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt. Ladle stew into 4 large bowls and serve.
Recipe created exclusively for Cooking.com by Sarah Taverner.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
624 calories; 40g total fat; 106mg cholesterol; 406mg sodium; 38g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 30g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close