- 12 skewers
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- For the Curry Paste:
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander roots
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for several hours before using to prevent burning.
Cut the chicken into long, thin strips and thread onto the skewers.
FOR THE CURRY PASTE:
Blend or process all the ingredients until smooth.
Heat the oil in a large shallow pan, add the skewers in batches and cook on both sides until lightly browned and tender, about 8 minutes; remove from the pan. Reheat the pan, add the curry paste mixture and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and cilantro and stir until heated through.
Serve the skewers and sauce with jasmine rice, if desired.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Russell. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
600 calories; 40g total fat; 125mg cholesterol; 476mg sodium; 11g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 49g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.