Originally developed at a Hollywood restaurant, this classic salad has endured endless interpretation. Our version is fairly true to the original, although we've left the blue cheese optional. Make it a Meal: warm up a crusty baguette and pour a crisp, cold glass of sparkling wine to accompany this salad.
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 pound shredded cooked chicken breast (1 large breast half) (see Tip)
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and chopped (see Tip)
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- To poach chicken breast: Place boneless skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Whisk the vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl to combine. Whisk in the oil until combined. Place the salad greens in a large bowl. Add half of the dressing and toss to coat.
Divide the salad greens among 4 plates. Arrange equal portions of chicken, egg, bacon, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and blue cheese (if using) on top of the lettuce. Drizzle the salads with the remaining dressing.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
314 calories; 23g total fat; 4g total saturated fat; 127mg cholesterol; 364mg sodium; 15g carbohydrates; 8g fiber; 16g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .