Here’s our updated version of the classic—and great proof that you can have your, well, melt and eat it, too, even if you’re building a healthy lifestyle. How about a tossed green salad on the side?
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- Two 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna (see Ingredient note), drained
- 1 medium shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash of hot sauce
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Ingredient Note: Canned white tuna comes from the large albacore and can be high in mercury content. Chunk light, on the other hand, which comes from smaller fish, skipjack or yellowfin, is best for health-conscious eaters. According to a recent study, canned white tuna samples averaged about 315 percent more mercury than chunk light tuna samples.
Preheat the broiler.
Toast the bread in a toaster.
Combine the tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, hot sauce and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast; top with tomato slices and 2 tablespoons cheese. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
264 calories; 7g total fat; 3g total saturated fat; 68mg cholesterol; 403mg sodium; 19g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 31g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .