- Double Bonus
We like broccoli best in this tofu stir-fry, but any mixture of vegetables you have on hand will work. One way to get great tofu texture without deep-frying is to toss the tofu in cornstarch before stir-frying. Let it cook for several minutes without stirring to help it develop a little crust. Serve with: Chinese egg noodles or rice noodles and a glass of Riesling.
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (see Note) or rice wine
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- One 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons water
- Ingredient Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don’t use “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, get dry sherry that’s sold with other fortified wines at your wine or liquor store.
Combine the broth, sherry (or rice wine), soy sauce, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, sugar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
Cut the tofu into 3/4-inch cubes and pat dry, then sprinkle with the salt. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a large bowl. Add the tofu; toss gently to coat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the tofu; cook, undisturbed, until browned, about 3 minutes. Gently turn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and ginger; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli and water; cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender-crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir the reserved broth mixture and add to the pan. Cook until the sauce has thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Return the tofu to the pan; toss to combine with the broccoli and sauce.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
258 calories; 13g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 544mg sodium; 23g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 14g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .