Tropical Fruit Salad with Chicken and Shrimp
- Active Time 15m
- Total Time 15m
The Thai concept of mixing tangy fresh fruits and vegetables together in a salad is an old one borrowed from India. In Thailand, this colorful salad is popularly sold by street vendors just as its inspiration is in India. Use your favorite local fruits in place of any called for here.
- 1/4 lb cooked bay shrimp
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken (1/2-inch dice)
- For Vinaigrette:
- 1 fresh small red chili pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small sweet pink grapefruit, peeled, all white membrane removed, and sectioned
- 1 Asian pear, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups melon chunks or balls (3/4 inch in diameter)
- 1 cup peeled and pitted litchis, preferably fresh
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fried shallot flakes
- 1 tablespoon fried garlic flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
In a large bowl, toss together the shrimp and chicken. Set aside.
FOR VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, combine the chili, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, salt and garlic; stir well to dissolve the sugar and salt. Pour half of the vinaigrette over the chicken mixture and toss to coat.
Just before serving, combine the mango, grapefruit, pear, melon and litchis in a colander to drain off excess moisture. Add to the chicken mixture along with the remaining vinaigrette and toss gently. Mix in most of the mint, cilantro, and fried shallot and garlic flakes.
TO SERVE: Transfer to a shallow serving bowl and garnish with the remaining mint, cilantro, shallots and garlic. Sprinkle with the peanuts.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
199 calories; 4g total fat; 54mg cholesterol; 604mg sodium; 27g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 16g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close