- Special Pricing
Tuna and Avocado Salad with Lemongrass and Fresh Mint
Serves 4 as a main course or 6 as an appetizer salad
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3/4 tablespoon coarsely chopped gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 5 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white or rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 8 ounces sushi-grade fresh tuna, preferably top-quality loin
- 2 semi-ripe avocados, firm enough to be sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced mint leaves
- 2 thinly sliced Thai basil
- 2 handfuls of baby greens like mache or mesclun
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 12 slices for garnish
To make the sauce, dry-toast the garlic, shallots and ginger in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Put in a spice grinder or small food processor and process, pulsing on and off, until well chopped. Then added the peanuts and chop until just crunchy.
Stir the peanut mixture together with the fish sauce, white or rice vinegar, lime juice, sugar, black pepper, dried red pepper flakes and salt (to taste) in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
Just before serving, cut the tuna into 3/4-inch cubes and put in a large bowl. Halve the avocados lengthwise and remove the pits. Cut into cubes the same size as the tuna. Gently toss the tuna and avocado cubes with the lemongrass, shallots, mint, basil, and 1/4 cup of the sauce.
Spread the greens on a platter and spoon the tuna onto it. Garnish with the tomatoes and serve with the remaining sauce on the side.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .