- Active Time 45m
- Total Time 1h
Ground turkey is the standard lean alternative to ground beef--and a good one--but burgers made from it can be dry and bland. These turkey burgers are particularly moist and flavorful because mushrooms are used to extend the ground meat.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5. Wrap individually and refrigerate for up to 8 hours or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, wiped clean
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise (see recipe link above)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast (see Ingredient note)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 whole-wheat buns (optional)
- Lettuce leaves & tomato slices, for garnish
- Ingredient Note: Lean ground turkey breast has 110 calories and 1 gram fat per 3-ounce serving, compared to 193 calories and 11 grams fat in regular ground turkey (which may include leg meat and skin).
Place the bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse the mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add to the breadcrumbs and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, if using.
Preheat the grill to medium-high.
Add the ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, salt and pepper to the mushroom mixture; mix well with a potato masher. With dampened hands, form the mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
Oil the grill rack. Brush the patties with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Grill until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165 degrees F.) Meanwhile, split the buns and toast on the grill for 30 to 60 seconds, if using. Serve the burgers on the buns, garnished with lettuce, tomato and Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, if desired.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
193 calories; 10g total fat; 2g total saturated fat; 95mg cholesterol; 418mg sodium; 9g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 17g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .