4 to 6 servings
Jambalaya is traditionally made with meat or seafood and served over long-grain white rice. Since this meatless version breaks with tradition in any case, try it with brown rice instead.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon filé powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained if canned
- 4 ounces poached tempeh, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces frozen vegetarian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 to 5 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
In a large pot, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, filé powder (if using), parsley, Tabasco, salt and water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the beans.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh and vegetarian sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tempeh and sausage to the tomato mixture and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the flavors are well blended. Adjust the seasonings. Serve over the hot rice.
Excerpted from One-Dish Vegetarian Meals, by Robin Robertson. Copyright 2007, used by permission from The Harvard Common Press http://www.harvardcommonpress.com.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Harvard Common Press. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close