Nobody will miss the meat in this colorful, zesty vegetarian taco salad. The rice and bean mixture can be made ahead and the salad quickly assembled at mealtime. Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat slightly before serving.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (see Tip) or frozen, thawed
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice (see Tip)
- One 15-ounce can black, kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Tip: Kitchen Tips: To remove corn kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp, knife.
- To cook rice, bring 1 cup water and 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and corn; cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Coarsely chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and the salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Coarsely chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Combine with the cilantro, salsa and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
Toss the lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa and 2/3 cup cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and the remaining cheese, passing lime wedges and the remaining fresh salsa at the table.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
395 calories; 17g total fat; 5g total saturated fat; 20mg cholesterol; 459mg sodium; 52g carbohydrates; 9g fiber; 14g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .