- Special Savings
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup each chopped celery, carrot and sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 5 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, sauté the onions, celery, carrot, red pepper and garlic in sherry or broth and oil until tender.
Add the beans, can of broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, chili power, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
Stir in the cilantro; simmer 5 to 15 minutes longer or until stew is thickened. Garnish with cheese, sour cream and green onion.
Special Offer: Take advantage of a special offer for Cooking.com guests and subscribe today to Taste of Home magazine! Click for details.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Reiman Publications, LLC. &copy; 2002. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .