Veggie Hashbrown Egg Bake
- One 32-ounce package frozen Southern-style hashbrowns, (loose)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 loaf white bread cut into cubes, no crust
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow pepper
- One 8-ounce package fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 7 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika or cayenne pepper (to garnish)
- Dash of parsley flakes (optional)
Thaw the frozen hash browns in the microwave for 2 minutes. Mix in the butter. Spread the hashbrowns into a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle with onion salt. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Let cool.
Sprinkle the green onions and 2 cups cheddar cheese over the hashbrowns. Place the bread cubes over the cheese. Microwave the green, red and yellow peppers together for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the 3 pepper mixture and fresh, sliced mushrooms over the bread. Sprinkle 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese over the veggies. Place 10 slices of tomato over the cheese, then 1/2 to 1 cup additional grated cheddar cheese over the tomato.
In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, half-and-half, dry mustard, dash of salt and pepper and beat together. Pour over the bread evenly. Sprinkle the top with paprika or cayenne pepper and parsley flakes, if desired. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes covered with aluminum foil. Uncover for 15 minutes to let brown slightly. Let set for approximately 10 more minutes before slicing.
Recipe reprinted by permission of <I>White Lace Inn, WI<. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close