Viennese Potato Soup
- Active Time 20m
- Total Time 45m
Makes 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced onions; large Bermuda or Spanish
- 2 1/2 cups sliced leeks, about 3, cleaned thoroughly
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 8 cups peeled, sliced potatoes, approximately 4 pounds
- 7 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Pinch of ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup peeled, diced carrots, precooked
- 1 cup peeled, diced potatoes, precooked
Put the 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large pot. Add the onions, leeks and marjoram and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes.
Add the potatoes and beef broth, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Add the buttermilk or yogurt, pepper and cardamom, if using.
Puree the soup in a food processor or blender.
In a skillet, sauté the mushrooms in the oil for 1 minute, or until the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms are golden. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Divide the mushrooms and precooked carrots and potatoes among 8 bowls. Add the soup and serve immediately.
NOTE: If you use yogurt instead of buttermilk, do not reheat the soup. Yogurt can separate when reheated.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Doubleday. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
258 calories; 7g total fat; 1mg cholesterol; 109mg sodium; 40g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 10g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .