Add this nutty, earthy sauté to your Thanksgiving table. It’s the perfect complement to a golden roasted juicy turkey or stuffed butternut or acorn squash.
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 cups Organic Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium organic yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, plus fresh thyme for garnish
- Freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste
Rinse wild rice thoroughly in cold water. In a large saucepan, add the wild rice, broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until tender. Drain rice and reserve until ready to use.
Heat a small skillet, add pine nuts and toast until just golden. Do not burn! Set aside.
Heat a large skillet, melt the butter and add shallots, onions, garlic and red pepper. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add the button and portabello mushrooms, marjoram, thyme, pepper and sea salt. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the wild rice, mix and cook for about 1 minute.
Spoon into a serving dish and garnish with toasted pine nuts and fresh sprigs of thyme.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Wild Oats Natural Marketplace. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close