Recent research indicates that diet can influence a patient's cancer treatment and survival rate as well as help to manage the side effects. This book has been written for both patients and caregivers and addresses the unique requirements of a patient undergoing cancer treatment.
A patient's waxing and waning appetite and ability to maintain optimal nutritional requirements are severely challenged during treatment, so the book provides integral information on how to deal with these challenges. From managing the side effects of treatment with particular foods and nutrients, to make-ahead meals that can be frozen and reheated at a moment's notice, to foods that are simply more palatable to a patient depending on what stage of treatment they're in.
The 150 recipes will also be tabbed and categorized according to their suitability in the stage of treatment, making meal preparation easier.
In addition to the recipes specially selected to meet the needs of cancer patients, this book covers:
- Treatments such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery
- Treatment side effects and nutrition recommendations for everything from anemia and appetite concerns to heartburn, taste changes, mouth sores and wound healing
- Concurrent conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and obesity
- Fighting cancer cells and boosting the immune system with food such as probiotics, anti-inflammatories, low glycemic foods, phytonutrients, and nutraceuticals
- Conventional, complementary and alternative treatments such as energy medicine, whole medical systems and alternative therapies
- Sample menus, shopping lists, resources.
The information in this book will be an invaluable resource and will help to alleviate the worry and concern that patients and caregivers face when dealing with the many health and nutritional issues associated with cancer treatment.