Food writer and long-time Japan resident Robb Satterwhite of Bento.comshows you not only how to find restaurants, but also how and what to order to ensure that each restaurant visit will be a unique culinary experience. Without even speaking Japanese, you will be able to order with confidence in a variety of situations from the menus of sushi, tempura, and kaisekirestaurants,as well as off-the-cuff at informalizakayapubs and street vendors. Furthermore, with over 30 types of cuisines covered, you will know exactly what you’re eating and how to savor it.
Learn and appreciate the finer points of drinks and spirits with completely revised and expanded entries on saké, shochu, beer, and more. Use the section on regional cuisines to learn what the specialties are and how to find them. Try the Japanese take on noodles (ramen, soba, and udon), curry, and premium meats such as Kobe beef, specially bred chicken, and the newest member to the fold--high-quality, “brand-name” pork. Additional expert tips and advice give further insight into the food scene, history, culture, and dining etiquette.
Explore all that Japanese cuisine has to offer with the new edition of this groundbreaking handbook and dining companion.
- Dozens of restaurant types complete with sample menus and hundreds of food terms explained
- Tailored sets of useful phrases for ordering in Japanese at each type of restaurant
- An invaluable “Fish and Seafood Quick Menu Reference” containing over 120 entries
- A completely updated section on specialty restaurants
- A new section on saké, shochu, and other Japanese spirits
- An expanded glossary with over 800 entries